Georgia-Cumberland Academy (GCA) is a Seventh-day Adventist Christian co-ed boarding high school located in scenic Northwest Georgia that is dedicated to preparing your child for their future, both spiritually and academically. For more than 50 years, our mission has been to equip students with the skills necessary to be successful in college and beyond while focusing on eternity. This task is even more vital with the current generation, who, according to researchers, is always connected, thus providing them with the power to positively or negatively influence the world around them. We accomplish this by fostering an educational environment of excellence where students, faculty, and staff pursue a shared goal to know Jesus as Savior and Friend, to love God and those He brings into our lives, and to serve the church and society.
GCA is blessed to be situated on 500 acres in the beautiful countryside of Calhoun, Georgia. Located about an hour north of Atlanta, and an hour south of Chattanooga, Tennessee, GCA’s campus features plenty of spaces for socializing and athletic activities, not to mention state-of-the-art classrooms and learning spaces. We endeavor to pursue our mission—"to know, to love, to serve"—in the context of a positive Christian environment that emphasizes spiritual growth; commitment to academic integrity; respect for God, people, and our world; and a healthy, active lifestyle. About two-thirds of the student body lives in the dormitories, and one-third live off campus. The school’s enrollment is approximately 250 students, with a student-teacher ratio of about 17:1.
The school enjoys a history that stretched much further back than its founding in 1965. California ranchers Nathaniel and Emeline Hurlbutt bought the property in 1914 in what was then Reeves, Georgia. Having received personal counsel from Ellen White, they observed the work of E. A. Sutherland and P. T. Magan in Madison, Tennessee, before establishing their own institution to care for the sick and orphaned and to train missionary nurses, health educators, farmers, teachers, dietitians, evangelists, and colporteurs.
Shortly before her death, Mrs. Hurlbutt deeded the institution to the Laymen’s Foundation. In 1944, the medical and educational entities were named for benefactor Lida Scott, becoming Scott Sanitarium and Scott Schools. After an accidental fire, operations ceased on July 1, 1959.
Subsequently, the property was purchased by the Georgia-Cumberland Conference of Seventh-day Adventists for the purpose of building a secondary boarding school. Unfortunately, there wasn’t enough money for the construction to begin, so the Penny Campaign was born. People from across the conference began gathering pennies in an effort to raise enough money for the construction of the school. There was even a penny shortage in Southeast Tennessee and Northwest Georgia due to the dedication of the people collecting the pennies. The campaign was successful! Construction began in 1961, and GCA opened its doors in August 1965 to 166 students .
Georgia-Cumberland Academy is Accredited by
- MSA – Middle States Association
- GAPSAC – Georgia Private School Accreditation Council
- Adventist Accrediting Association