Georgia-Cumberland Academy (GCA) is a Seventh-day Adventist Christian co-ed boarding high school located in scenic Northwest Georgia. Our mission is to foster an educational environment of excellence where students, faculty, and staff pursue a shared goal: to know Jesus as Savior and Friend, to love God and those He brings into our lives, and to serve the church and society. We endeavor to pursue this mission of academic excellence in the context of a positive Christian environment with shared values that include: spiritual growth, commitment to academic integrity, respect for God, people, and our world, and a healthy, drug-free lifestyle.
Located about an hour north of Atlanta, and an hour south of Chattanooga, Tennessee, GCA’s campus is spread out over more than 500 acres just outside Calhoun. The rural setting offers beautiful views of the Chattahoochee National Forest. About two-thirds of the student body lives in the dormitories, and one-third live off campus. The school’s enrollment is approximately 250 students, with a student-teacher ratio of about 17:1.
Georgia-Cumberland Academy enjoys a history that stretched much further back than its founding in 1965. California ranchers Nathaniel and Emeline Hurlbutt bought the property in 1914 in what was then Reeves, Georgia. Having received personal counsel from Ellen White, they observed the work of E. A. Sutherland and P. T. Magan in Madison, Tennessee, before establishing their own institution to care for the sick and orphaned and to train missionary nurses, health educators, farmers, teachers, dietitians, evangelists, and colporteurs.
Shortly before her death, Mrs. Hurlbutt deeded the institution to the Laymen’s Foundation. In 1944, the medical and educational entities were named for benefactor Lida Scott, becoming Scott Sanitarium and Scott Schools. After an accidental fire, operations ceased on July 1, 1959.
Subsequently, the property was purchased by the Georgia-Cumberland Conference of Seventh-day Adventists for the purpose of building a secondary boarding school. Unfortunately, there wasn’t enough money for the construction to begin, so then the Penny Campaign was born. People all over the conference began gathering pennies. Raising money for the construction, and the beginning of the school. There was even a penny shortage in Southeast Tennessee and northwest Georgia due to the dedication of the people collecting the pennies. The Campaign was successful, so construction began in 1961, and GCA opened its doors to 166 students in August 1965.
Georgia-Cumberland Academy is Accredited by
- SACS – Southern Association of Colleges and Schools
- GAPSAC – Georgia Private School Accreditation Council
- Adventist Accrediting Association